"I know my chickens"


Italian sayings are wonderful! "I know my chickens" - originally a farmer's proverb - would roughly translate now as "I know of whom I speak."

The image above is the work of photographer, filmmaker, and multimedia artist Douglas Gayeton, who has a show opening this weekend in California. For those who can't make the trip, here's what Boing Boing has to say about Gayeton's art:

Douglas Gayeton has explored Tuscany and the heart of Italy's "Slow Living" culture since the early 90's. With a keen eye for stories and an ear for Italian dialect, he he intertwines the literal with the figurative in a photographic approach he calls the flat film. To become immersed in one of these works is to experience a world where time is at once collapsed and expanded. Regarding his work process, Gayeton says, "I've always seen photography as being about a single moment, whereas film is about orchestrating a sequence of moments (scenes) to create a larger narrative.
The mix between the realism of Gayeton's photojournalistic photography and the text reflecting Italian popular culture and the oral history of the subject seems a perfect way to transcend "the single moment" and create that larger narrative! (Reminds me a bit of a kind of refreshingly-grounded, photographic version of this lyrical mix by Howard Finster...)

More of Gayeton's work is available on PBS's website in a five-part photo essay called "My shoes are caked with mud: a Tuscan photo diary." I look enthusiastically forward to seeing even more from Douglas Gayeton, and hope you do, too! Enjoy!!

2 comments:

The Passionate Palate said...

Michelle, this post was very ineteresting. I am so curious now abou this photographer's work; I love the way he combines his passion for slow food and art. I checked out the links in your post to his site and work, but nowhere does it mention his works being shown in CA. Do you have more information on that? Thanks!

Michelle-aneous Musings said...

According to my beloved Boing Boing, "Douglas Gayeton has a show opening this weekend in Petaluma, California (Singer Gallery, August 18th, 5-7pm.)"

Hope that helps! :-)
Thanks so much for reading!!!!!!!!!