"Douglas Adams: Parrots, the Universe and Everything"

This was an absolutely fantastic talk I once saw on tv about five or so years ago by that legendary "hitchhiker" and humorist, Douglas Adams... As usual, he brought his funny perspectives, but in this case to the serious topic of ecology. Enjoy!

"Douglas Adams: Parrots, the Universe and Everything (#5779; 87 min.): Douglas Adams is the best-selling British author and satirist who created The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In this talk at UCSB, Adams shares hilarious accounts of some of the apparently absurd lifestyles of the world's creatures, and gleans from them extraordinary perceptions about the future of humanity."

(On a somewhat related note, I once almost met Douglas Adams. He was scheduled to sign copies of a book at the once-glorious Oxford Bookstore in Atlanta, and when I got there, I could find nowhere - and I do mean nowhere - to park... the place was swamped! So, I gave up and drove over to the one-and-only lone Borders in town at the time to get my weekend book fix, and no sooner was I deeply immersed in some tome about medieval history when I overheard a guy with a British accent checking out. And, yes, it was Douglas Adams! By the time I managed to snag a copy of his book for him to sign, though, he was gone! Ah, cruel fate!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you read that book THE SALMON OF DOUBT, a collection of fragments and short essays of Douglas Adams? The "Hitchhiker's/Dirk Gently" fragment was pretty lame (if he had finished it, it would have been yet another mediocre novel from his later period), but the short essays were entertaining.