Welcome to the new categories of "Michelle's Mental Clutter"!
Blogger doesn't use categories, so I've had to rely upon a "social bookmarking" system!
What's social bookmarking? According to Wikipedia, it's "an activity performed over a computer network that allows users to save and categorize (see folksonomy) a personal collection of bookmarks and share them with others. Users may also take bookmarks saved by others and add them to their own collection, as well as to subscribe to the lists of others. - a personal knowledge management tool. This new part of the web started around late 2003, when del.icio.us was launched." So, it keeps your bookmarks on the web. So what?
What's cool about "social bookmarking," as del.icio.us states, "is its ability to let you see the links that others have collected, as well as showing you who else has bookmarked a specific site. You can also view the links collected by others, and subscribe to the links of people whose lists you find interesting."
If you're beginning to feel like you've already surfed your way to the end of the web, this is a great way to discover the buried treasures that are still out there!
Not to mention that there are all kinds of little tweaks (from Absolutely Del.icio.us):
- "A Beginner's Guide to Delicious can get you started quickly."
- "You can view the currently most popular bookmarks."
- "Oishii - is kind of a del.icio.us mini-zeitgeist. It polls the del.icio.us front page every 5 minutes, and returns all sites bookmarked by at least 30 people."
- "populicio.us - displays the most popular new sites in last 24 / 48 hours and of all time."
- "trendalicious - is a near real-time view of website popularity trends as reflected by the del.icio.us social bookmarking service."
- "backing up del.icio.us - A tool for backing up your bookmarks. It helps to preserve your bookmarks for the ultimate day when del.icio.us suddenly dissapears and so do all your bookmarks and favourite urls collected over years."
- "extispicious - generates randomly juxtaposed tags, allowing you to draw your own meanings and revelations from the overlapping entrails."
- "gre.gario.us - is a tool to find people who have bookmarked the same links you have on del.icio.us. The purpose is to attempt to find people who may have similar interests as you do in a more direct way than using tags."